Commercial Semi-Truck Accident Lawyers That Fight for Your Compensation
What Do You Need To Know About Hiring a Truck Accident Attorney?
If you suffered an injury in a commercial truck accident, our personal injury attorneys could help you with your case against the negligent party.
Commercial trucks like big rigs, tankers, tractor-trailers, 18-wheelers, and other large trucks are extremely heavy vehicles that can cause severe and lethal accidents.
Truck companies have to follow every federal regulation that applies to them regarding the operation of their rigs. This includes driver training and work schedules.
When a commercial truck driver causes an accident, the truck driver, trucking company, and third parties can be held accountable for injuries and property damage.
Attorney Harry Brown Jr. DC, JD is an experienced truck accident lawyer familiar with the catastrophic injuries people can suffer due to trucking accidents. He will use his legal and medical experience to fight for your right to compensation for economic and non-economic damages.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a truck accident that wasn’t your fault, contact The Brown Firm’s experienced truck accident attorneys in Georgia and South Carolina for legal advice and representation.
Our accident lawyers have offices located in Savannah, Atlanta, Athens and Okatie to serve you.
The Brown Firm is great! Communication is key when dealing with clients and believe me they definitely exceed in all aspects. Calls and texts were received almost weekly to update and check on progress from the chiropractor. I am extremely satisfied with how my and my daughter's case turn out. I will use this firm in the future and refer anyone else to use them as well.
What You Should Do If You’ve Been Involved In A Truck Accident
If you have been involved in an incident with a semi-truck, you should begin the claims process right away. It may be difficult if you’ve suffered severe injuries, so you may need help from a friend or family member to do the following:
- Call The Police: Truck accident victims need to report the incident from the accident scene and obtain a police report. Relay the facts as you remember them, and avoid giving your opinions about the accident.
- Seek Immediate Medical Treatment: Everyone involved in a tractor-trailer accident needs to receive immediate medical attention. If you don’t need emergency treatment at the scene, you should schedule an appointment with an accident doctor to ensure you don’t have any hidden injuries.
- Document the Truck Accident: Do your best to document the truck crash scene. If you can, take pictures of the scene and get contact information from everyone involved and witnesses to the collision. Jot down the trucking company’s name, the truck’s registration number, and any contact details you can find. If you can’t document the crash, a police report will also have detailed information your truck accident lawyer can use.
- Report the Accident To Your Insurer: Victims of truck accidents need to report the crash to their insurance company to begin the process of starting a truck accident claim. In addition, you should inform insurance carriers of what happened.
- Hire a Truck Accident Law Firm: Even if you don’t think you will need to file a personal injury lawsuit, you should still obtain legal representation. In the immediate aftermath of a semi-truck collision, your actions may determine whether you can receive a settlement to cover medical expenses and other damages from the liable parties.
What You Should Know About Commercial Vehicle Accident Cases
The Brown Firm is familiar with the intricacies of cases involving truck companies and commercial drivers.
Below is some helpful information to improve your understanding, but if you need more information about trucking accident cases, contact The Brown Firm for a free initial consultation.
- Burden of Proof: You have the burden of proving liability and damages in a truck accident lawsuit. You have to prove the negligence of the commercial driver or trucking company caused the crash and your injuries. Expert testimony from treating physicians and expert witnesses establishes the causal relationship between the collision and your accident injuries when substantial damages are involved. Qualified experts can also testify regarding the permanency of your medical condition and that your medical bills are reasonable and necessary.
- You Have To Fight Commercial Entities: Truck drivers and truck companies will employ a legal team skilled at investigating and fighting claims like yours. Consult a personal injury law firm before talking to the at-fault party’s insurance company.
- Worker’s Compensation Can Cover Trucking Accident Claims: Unlike typical motor vehicle accidents, truck drivers might have legal rights to file a worker’s comp claim or a claim against the party who caused or contributed to the collision. The Brown Firm represents injured truck drivers to secure the best outcome for your case from the party responsible for the crash.
Determining Fault in a Trucking Accident
Commercial trucking companies must follow strict guidelines put in place by the government to protect motorists from fatal truck accidents.
If any federal motor carrier safety regulations are not followed and result in accidents with passenger vehicles, the truck driver or trucking company will most likely be held liable.
Commonly violated rules include:
- Improperly maintained vehicles
- Fatigued drivers
- Violations of highway traffic and safety laws
- Cell phone use while driving
- Intoxication while driving
Driver fatigue is probably the most common cause of 18-wheeler accidents. Even drivers with extensive experience that drive over the number of designated hours permitted each day to meet an unrealistic time limit will become fatigued. Being overworked is an extremely common problem in the trucking industry; therefore, when an accident occurs, a careful examination of driving records is essential.
Driving logs will likely demonstrate an overall disregard for the federal safety regulations or prove to be fraudulent. Additionally, drivers and trucking companies are only required to keep these records for six months. Therefore, you must obtain these implicating logs within the initial six-month period, or they may be destroyed before you bring your serious injury claim.
A person who does not have solid proof, or incriminating evidence, that the hours of service regulations were ignored will have a much more challenging time winning their commercial truck accident case. This is why hiring a truck accident lawyer is essential.
A committed personal injury lawyer from The Brown Firm will analyze your case for proof that the truck driver or trucking company was negligent and at fault for the accident by:
- Analyzing driving logs
- Checking vehicle maintenance
- Identifying any manufacturer defects or recalls
- Authenticating driver credentials
- Investigating the scene of the accident
- Reading police reports
- Examining photographs
- Compiling witness statements
- Understanding medical treatments
Ready to Talk to a Lawyer Who Has Your Back?
Common Truck Accident Injuries
Many truck crashes will kill the victims involved or leave them with severe, life-long injuries. Survivors of commercial vehicle accidents are often left with a decreased quality of life, both physically and financially.
Truck accident victims can suffer from any of the following:
- Loss of Limbs
- Crush Injuries
- Third-Degree Burns
- Back and Neck Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Seat Belt Injuries
- Broken Bones
- Internal Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries | Paralysis
- Mental Anguish
- Fatal Injuries | Wrongful Death
Why Hire a Truck Accident Attorney?
When you or a loved one has been involved in a big rig traffic accident, injuries can be so severe that they will require long-term treatment and care, not to mention significant medical bills.
Our truck accident attorneys are well experienced in this area of personal injury law, including how truck accident claims differ from a typical car accident claim.
We will prepare a comprehensive claim and seek maximum compensation for all types of damages, including:
- Medical Care
- Lost Wages
- Physical Therapy
- Home Care
- Property Damage
You deserve compensation and a just settlement, and our law firm will work hard to minimize hassles and delays in dealing with the defendant and their insurance company.
If you were injured in a truck accident, click the link below for a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys at The Brown Firm. Our truck accident lawyers offer determined and resourceful legal representation.
If you or a loved one were injured and need help, our skilled truck accident lawyers will be at your side every step of the way.
Fill out our simple online contact form or call our office at (800) 529-1441.
Our Recent Personal Injury Articles
Lowndes County, GA – Woman Survives Car Launching Off Back Of Tow Truck
Body camera footage from a Lowndes County Sheriff’s deputy shows a vehicle ramping off of a tow truck, flipping and landing upright.
Atlanta, GA – Man Killed in Deadly Single-Vehicle Accident
Speed is believed to have been a factor in a single-car crash along Lee Street in southwest Atlanta late Saturday evening.
Cherokee County, GA – 24-Year-Old Dad Killed in a Motorcycle Accident
A 24-year-old dad was killed in a Memorial Day weekend motorcycle wreck just months before he was set to be married.
Macon, GA – 57-Year-Old Man Killed in Motorcycle Crash
According to the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office, a 57-year-old man was killed in a single-vehicle motorcycle accident on I-16.
Columbus, GA – Two Dead From Fiery Single Vehicle Accident
Two Columbus residents are dead after a single-vehicle crash that occurred around Hancock Road late Sunday night.
Stonecrest, GA – Man Hit by Car in Critical Condition
DeKalb County police were investigating in Stonecrest after a man walking alongside a roadway was hit by a car and critically injured.
Lithonia, GA – Medical Emergency Triggers Multi-Car Accident
At least three people were sent to the hospital after a major crash involving five vehicles in Lithonia, Georgia.
Atlanta, GA – 2 Killed Others Injured in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Two people died and several others were hurt in a multiple-vehicle accident that happened in Atlanta on Saturday afternoon.
Macon, GA – Moped Driver Struck and Killed in Hit-and-Run Accident
A 48-year-old woman driving a moped was struck and killed in a hit-and-run accident that occurred on Tuesday night.
Macon, GA – Motorcyclist in Critical Condition After Being Hit by a Car
A 63-year-old man is in critical condition after the motorcycle he was riding was struck by a vehicle Monday night.
Contact The Brown Firm
Get the Answers and Compensation You Deserve
You’ll notice the difference when you contact The Brown Firm! Our local dedicated attorneys want to help you recover and rebuild.
Schedule your free consultation by calling (800) 529-1441 or completing our simple online form.