Shocking Pokemon Go Injuries and Car Accidents
Pokemon Go: Is it safe to play?
Almost as soon as it’s been released into the public eye, Pokemon Go, an augmented reality game that is played on smartphones, also began influencing real life. Even if you are a critic of these “pocket monsters,” you will still likely encounter the mania all around you.
Players are often caught running through the streets and maybe even on your property in hopes of snagging a new character for points. The game, made by Niantic and the Pokemon Company didn’t predict the power and obsession these Pokemon would quickly inflict on players. What once was an innocent and fun way to pass time has become a gamble on players lives.
I met with Harry Brown personally and he sat with me for 20 minutes at our initial consultation to explain everything. He even called after my surgery to see how I was doing. I met with him several more times after that and was kept informed about my case throughout. I highly recommend Harry Brown as an attorney.
Pokemon Go Gets Police Attention
The game has been known to cause injuries, car crashes, and has even sparked lawsuits. Even worse, children are being lured into isolated locations and literally “falling victim” off cliff sides.
“Police departments all over the nation are issuing warnings to players not to trespass on private property to catch Pokemon. They are also using social media to remind players to keep their head up, rather than in their phones, while playing on the streets and on the roads.”1
Car accidents while playing Pokemon
On the night of July 12th a 28 year old driver was injured in Auburn, New York, after crashing into a tree while playing Pokemon GO. Police didn’t release the driver’s information, but luckily the driver only suffered minor injuries. Judging from the photo below, the operator seems to be very fortunate to walk away without major lacerations.
Shortly after a teenager from Melbourne, Australia, age 19, crashed his car into a school building, also while playing Pokemon Go. While he failed to catch Pokemon balls, eggs, or potions he did attract police and debris from the unfortunate accident.
Suggestions From The Police
While more and more police become involved, they continue to prepare for Pokemon Go. More and more detectives and chiefs are becoming steeped in the language of the game and even accidentally catching fugitives with these efforts. As well, local police recently compiled a list of tips for game players with the following suggestions:
- Don’t use the application while operating a motor vehicle or riding a bicycle
- While trying to catch a Pokemon do not trespass on private property
- Be aware of your surroundings when walking and don’t stare down at your phone not knowing hazards around you, like roadways, drop offs, waterways, etc.
- Use caution while sharing your location as strangers can see your location information
- Travel in groups in public/well-lit locations
Other Injuries Reported By Users
- “Pokemon Go put me in the ER last night.”
- “Not even 30 minutes after the release last night, I slipped and fell down a ditch.”
- “Fractured the fifth metatarsal bone in my foot, 6-8 weeks for recovery
- Many others posted they had mishaps and minor scraps from chasing Pokemon a little too enthusiastically.
In a statement, The Pokemon Company said, “We are constantly looking at ways to add safety features to Pokemon Go and expect to incorporate some features based on user experience in future builds.”2
Safe Tips To Practice While Playing Pokemon Go
- Never Play on Your Smart Phone While Operating a Vehicle – If you take your eyes off the road for only 5 seconds your chances of a car accident are dramatically increased.
- Do Not Trespass Onto Private Property – Whether you are trying to catch a Blastoise or not; trespassing on someone’s property is never a good idea. Massachusetts police has urged players to keep the Pokemon hunting to parks and public areas. Not only is trespassing a criminal offense but it also is very dangerous to wander on forbidden property.
- Play Around Memorials – People have been cited playing on Memorial grounds such as the Arlington National Cemetery and the U.S. Holocaust Museum. Be certain you aren’t gaming in areas that could be deemed disrespectful.
- Play in Isolated Areas – There have been reported robberies associated with secluded areas. In Missouri, armed robbers used the game to lure gamers in isolated areas and rob them of their smartphones. Be sure to play the game in secure and busy public areas with friends.
- Don’t Cross Roadways While Hunting Pokemon – Since the games release, there has been an increase in the number of people glued to their smartphone screens rather than paying attention to their surroundings. The most common injuries people report are bumps and bruises; however, others have suffered from falling into ditches, and walking into trees, other people, and some have even walked into oncoming traffic.
If you suffered injuries after a car accident or need legal assistance after an accident, contact the Brown Firm today. Our Georgia personal injury attorneys are here to immediately assist you with any questions or concerns in legal matters regarding your accident injuries, we will fully protect your rights.
Related post: how to save the value of your car after an auto collision.
Keep Reading: What you Should Know about Georgia Laws and Personal Injury.
Ready to Talk to a Lawyer Who Has Your Back?
Our Recent Personal Injury Articles
Jaclyn faced injuries, bills, and more after being hurt in an accident her driver caused. Learn how our persistence helped her win the money she deserved.
While most of a personal injury settlement is tax free, you may owe taxes on certain types of damages or interest. Learn more in this article.
The size of a herniated disc settlement can vary significantly based on several factors. Read to learn more about how damages are calculated.
Our car accident law firm discusses the best way to handle a car accident on private property in Georgia or South Carolina. For legal help call The Brown Firm.
Learn about special damages, punitive damages, and other money you can win in a personal injury trial—and how an attorney can help.
In the article inside, we will explain how to determine your slip and fall case's value.If you were recently injured from a fall due to hazardous conditions on someone else's...
In the article below, we will go over some of the truck accident questions our Truck Accident Lawyers are asked most often. Call for a free consultation. If you've recently...
In the article inside, we will examine what constitutes nursing home neglect and what can be done about it. Failure to meet the needs of a nursing home resident is...
Learn what personal injury is, if you might have a personal injury case, and how to get the compensation you deserve with the help of an experienced attorney.
Inside we will dive deeper into car accident claims for children and some key differences between a personal injury claim for an adult and a child.
Contact The Brown Firm
Get the Answers and Compensation You Deserve
You’ll notice the difference when you contact The Brown Firm! Our local dedicated attorneys want to help you recover and rebuild. We serve all of Georgia and South Carolina from four conveniently located offices in Savannah, Atlanta, Athens, and Okatie.
Schedule your free consultation by calling (912) 324-2498 or completing our simple online form.