Personal Injury Accidents can cause significant injuries and damages, not to mention the disruption they cause on everyday life. When you are involved in an accident that was caused by someone else's negligent behavior, you deserve to be compensated for your losses.
Hiring an experienced Personal Injury Attorney to assist with the recovery of your losses will be your best chance at obtaining the benefits that you deserve.
Once you hire an attorney
There is no exact number of times you should be calling your attorney during an active case. A simple rule of thumb is to speak with your attorney when it's necessary. Whether that is several times per week or only once per month, each person's case is different.
Let's discuss this a bit further.
Table Of Contents
- Checklist of 8 Important Things To Discuss With Your Personal Injury Lawyer
- Choosing A Personal Injury Attorney To Help With Your Personal Injury Case
Checklist of 8 Important Things to Discuss with your PI Lawyer
If you have no news for your lawyer, and your lawyer has no news for you, then there really is no reason for you to contact your attorney.
When you have a good attorney, you won't need to just call out of the blue and check-in. There are points during a personal injury case where your attorney won't need to check in.
However, that being said, we have put together a checklist for when you should be contacting your personal injury attorney.
- If you have any new supporting documentation for your accident claim.
- To confirm you have been following your doctor’s recommendations.
- Provide your attorney with information on any new recommendations or treatment orders or prescriptions from your medical provider.
- To submit all receipts for expenses related to your injuries and accident.
- To provide accurate, dated records of your treatment, including dates of all appointments with health care practitioners and therapists.
- To inform your lawyer about the progress and success of your treatment.
- To maintain accurate records with dates of your time off work or your time working, while you are recovering from your injury.
- To advise your lawyer if you have received any correspondence or communication from your insurer or your employer and provide copies of any documents.
It's important to note that during the time you're receiving medical treatment, calling your attorney to request a "status" update on your case will not be relevant during this time period. While you're receiving ongoing treatment, daily or even weekly phone calls and requests will be ineffective because your attorney can't demand compensation when they don't have all of your medical documentation.
During the time you're receiving medical treatment, your attorney will be patiently waiting for you to recover and to receive the final documentation from your medical provider stating you're finished with treatment.
Each person's injuries from an accident are different, which means there's no exact time frame for recovery. Your doctor may be able to give you a time frame after your exam, but that does not always mean your recovery will go exactly as planned.
Once your attorney receives final documentation from your medical provider stating your release, they can begin to file the necessary paperwork to obtain compensation for your losses.
Now, once your lawyer has filed a lawsuit and sent all legal documentation to the other parties insurance company, there is generally nothing to report until a response from the insurance company is received. At this point, there is nothing for you to do except wait, in which case you will not need to contact your lawyer.
This process can take several months, in the meantime it can get frustrating, however, you contacting your attorney every other day will not make this process any faster. You will need to trust the attorney that you hired during this process.
Choosing a Personal Injury Attorney to Help with your Case
When you're involved in a Personal Injury Accident, it's crucial to hire an experienced attorney to help with the recovery of your losses.
It's important to remember that you only have one chance of obtaining compensation for your losses.
If you try to handle a lawsuit on your own, and you fail, you do not get another chance to seek retribution for your losses.
The Brown Firm has a team of experienced Personal Injury Lawyers who work diligently to help you receive the benefits you deserve. Our lawyers have been helping the injured for over 30 years.
When you're involved in a personal injury accident, don't hesitate to contact one of our highly trained Georgia Personal Injury Lawyers for legal advice.
We offer a free consultation to see how we can best assist with the recovery of your losses.
Click below to schedule your appointment today.