Personal Injury Lawyers


Can I Claim Personal Property Damages in My Car Accident Claim?

by Harry Brown / January 19, 2015

When you get into a car accident, the first things you focus on are the safety of yourself and those involved as well as insurance-related questions.

However, something that may be overlooked, but is still important, is what happens to your damaged personal property in a car accident.

What Personal Property is Covered in a Car Accident?

If you’ve been injured in a car accident, there are a few important things you should do first. Consider reading our blog on “What to Do After a Car Wreck?” for these important steps.

Next, it’s time to make your claim.Can I claim personal property in a car accident claim?

If you had items in your car that were damaged during the accident that were permanently attached or added to the car post-purchase (such as a stereo system), you have the ability to make a claim on these items.

However, you need to make sure that your policy covers this. Items that are non-permanent, such as laptops, gifts, groceries, etc. will not be covered by your auto insurance.

How to Report a Claim for Your Damaged Personal Property

When attempting to get reimbursed for the damaged items, you need to take the following steps:

  • Call your insurance company: You need to make sure you alert them to the accident and whether or not you were at fault. Many insurance companies require you to report accidents, so make sure to read the fine print.
  • Provide pictures: Make sure you have evidence of the damage.
  • Contact their insurance company: If the other driver was at fault, call their insurance company to file a claim. A claims adjuster will take over and you will be given a claim number.
  • Expect Cash Value: If you have damaged items and your claim is approved, you should expect cash value for the items.

Custom Parts and Equipment Coverage (CPE)

If you want to make sure that items thatPersonal Property Covered in a Car Accident have been added to your vehicle are safe and covered, you should consider getting CPE.

It is an endorsement to your policy and is likely subject to similar deductibles. It should cover items like custom paint jobs, aftermarket seats and customized wheels.

You can read more about it here: Link

Contact The Brown Firm Today for Assistance

The Car Accident Attorneys at The Brown Firm understand the importance of your safety, time and of first-rate customer service, so you’ll work directly with a lawyer and team who will help you understand your legal options. 

With three offices located in Georgia including Savannah, Atlanta and Athens, and one in Okatie, SC, rest assured that our Car Accident Injury Lawyer will go the distance to help you.

To schedule a free consultation, call us at (888) 391-9112 or click the link below.

Click Here For Your Free Consultation


Tags: car accident

previous post Stay Safe This Winter: Wintertime Driving Tips
Next Post 3 Common Reasons for Medical Malpractice Cases in Georgia

Like This Post? Share Your Thoughts With Us. We Would Love To Hear From You!

Social Networks