Prescription drugs are designed to improve the quality of life and overcome enervating diseases. Most of us don’t think twice when our medical providers administer medications. But every drug has it’s intended effects, and it’s unintended side effects, and some of those side effects can be harmful and even deadly.
When patients undergo injuries and even death due to adverse effects from prescribed drugs, medical facilities, and providers can be held responsible for these horrific incidents. No one should have to suffer a death of a loved one or irreversible life-changing effects caused by a prescribed medication.
Here are five pharmaceutical drugs involved in current litigation over dangerous and deadly side effects.Invokamet Side Effects and Injury:
- Invokament was formed to help patients with type 2 diabetes manage their insulin levels by processing blood sugar and regulating the amount of glucose released from their liver.
- Type 2 diabetes affects over 28 million Americans that face risks of blindness, kidney failure, neurologic damage, and necrosis, or death of living tissue, often resulting in amputation.
- Invokament helps people with Type 2 diabetes decrease the amount of glucose released from the liver storage and by limiting absorption of sugar from the gastrointestinal tract.
Side effects associated with Invokamet
- Genital yeast infections (male and female)
- Urinary tract infection
- Sun intolerance
- Rash or Itching
- Indigestion and nausea/vomiting
- Flatulence and diarrhea
- Low vitamin B12 levels
- Increase in LDL cholesterol
Onglyza and Serious Health Risks:
- Onglyza is also prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes but also is associated with serious health risks.
- This medication has a higher risk to patients who already have heart or kidney disease due to high risks of heart failure associated with Onglyza.
- Earlier this year the FDA warned that type 2 diabetes medicines like Onglyza that lower blood sugar may increase risks of heart failure and can be life-threatening.
$70 million in Johnson and Johnson Risperdal Lawsuit:
A Philadelphia jury awarded $70 million to a boy who developed breasts after using antipsychotic drug Risperdal. For those with schizophrenia, autism, or bipolar disorder, Risperdal can reduce aggressive behaviors.
But for young men taking the drug, it can also cause gynecomastia or breast enlargement. Sadly, the pharmaceutical company not only failed to warn patients about this potential side effect, but the drug wasn’t even FDA-approved for adolescents.
Xarelto and Internal Bleeding:
Jassen and Bayer are awaiting trials beginning in early 2017, claiming the drug manufacturers failed to warn patients adequately that Xarelto could increase risks for cranial and gastrointestinal bleeding. For people with irregular heart rhythm, hypertension, or another valvular heart condition, blood thinners can be beneficial in preventing dangerous and potentially deadly blood clots.
For adults undergoing hip and knee replacement surgeries, the popular blood thinner Xarelto is commonly prescribed. But for some adults ingesting Xarelto has lead patients to suffer from severe bleeding, and even resulting in death.
Morning sickness drug Zofran causes birth defects:
Zofran was created to treat nausea in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. But the company that manufactured Zofran started pushing the drug towards pregnant woman. Unfortunately many tragic birth defects resulted from Zofran.
If you have suffered serious side effects or lost a loved one from a prescription drug, you may have a valid medical malpractice lawsuit. The Brown Firm has the medical and legal experience that other law firms can't compete with. Our Medical Malpractice Attorney's have successfully helped thousands of injured patients get the justice they deserve, Contact Us Today!
Click Below to schedule a free consultation with an expert Medical Malpractice Attorney
Keep Reading: Does Workers Compensation Cover Car Accidents?