When you are involved in a truck accident, there are multiple factors that are involved in most tractor trailer cases.
So, it is no surprise that many people do not know what to do.
It is important to seek legal representation from a reliable Personal Injury Attorney after becoming the victim of a semi truck crash.
An attorney will understand the complexities of filing a lawsuit and are usually willing to answer your most burning questions about your truck accident injury lawsuit for free!
Here are 4 Questions That you Need Answered About Your Truck Accident Case
1. Why are Truck Accidents Different from other Motor Vehicle Accidents?
Tractor trailer accidents are much more likely to result in severe, permanent, injuries and death compared to other auto accidents.
This is due to their massive size and weight which will result in a more forceful collision.
Another danger involved with trucking, is the pressure the driver's are under to make deliveries which results in long hours and driver fatigue.
Semi trucks will often be heavily loaded and if they are not secured properly a severe accident can occur.
Because of these added dangers, the trucking industry is regulated by federal and state laws that protect the lives and safety of others on the road.
These extra regulations make filing a lawsuit complex and difficult to handle without the help of an experienced truck accident attorney.
2. What are some common causes of Truck Accidents?
Large vehicles such as big rigs and 18-wheelers are made differently than a regular passenger vehicle. Commercial trucks are much more difficult to operate, therefore they present a greater risk for complications and defective parts to occur.
Some of the most common reasons for trucking accident include:
- Driver Error: There are countless reasons a truck driver could cause an accident, such as speeding, using a cell phone, drinking and driving, fatigue, and distracted driving.
- Truck Equipment Failure: This includes malfunctions in design and manufacturing. Some of the most common defects are on tires and brakes.
- Weather Conditions: Because big rigs are so tall and heavy, wet or icy road situations can cause hazardous driving conditions. The normal braking distance needed is often heavily restricted, requiring truck drivers to have an increased reaction time. Unfortunately, drivers do not always take these factors into account when operating a truck.
- Improper Loading: When a truck’s load is not equally disseminated throughout the entire trailer, the uneven load can potentially cause the truck to malfunction, causing a wreck.
3. What Type of Compensation am I Entitled To?
The severity of the injuries and damages that were suffered will make a big difference when it comes to receiving compensation.
Generally, an injured person may be able to receive compensation for:
- medical expenses
- lost wages
- lost future earnings
- personal property damage
- pain and suffering
If the victim loses their life in a truck accident, the family can file a wrongful death claim if the accident was caused by negligence.
Our personal injury attorneys are experienced with helping truck accident victims receive the maximum amount of compensation that they deserve.
4. Why do I need to Hire a Truck Accident Attorney?
When you become the victim of a truck crash, it is important to seek help from an experienced attorney.
Your attorney will launch an investigation into the accident, gather all necessary evidence, complete paperwork in a timely manner, and interview any potential witnesses.
It will also be up to your attorney to negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf for a fair settlement. They will be prepared to take your case to trial if negotiations with the insurance company are unsuccessful.
Understanding the complex laws and regulations that surround the trucking industry can be difficult and time consuming.
Your main focus after an accident should be on your recovery.
Your attorney is well versed in the legal proceedings and can handle everything with your case so you do not have the added stress.
The Brown Firm Lawyers offer a free consultation to explain the legal process and let you know exactly how we plan on helping with your case.
To speak with one of our expert Truck Accident Injury Attorneys and get your more in depth questions answered, click on the button below for a free consultation.