South Carolina was ranked as the third deadliest state last year in terms of car accidents. Car accidents can jeopardize your way of living, empty your pockets dry, and can even cause death if the injury is too severe. What’s more devastating is the financial burden that car accident victims can suffer long after the incident has taken place.
The at-fault party cannot bring back the lost time due to the trouble or the life that was taken away. However, you can at least settle the dispute on a lawsuit to get some monetary compensation. If you need a car accident lawyer for settlement, the best ones that you can get in South Carolina are the ones from The Brown Firm.
The Car Accident Lawyers at The Brown Firm are here to help guide you through this difficult time. Here are a few common questions that hear.
HOW MUCH CAN YOU GET FROM THE CAR ACCIDENT CLAIM?
Every car accident lawsuit has a different settlement claim as each accident is different from the other. Most of the time, the amount of insurance coverage, the extent of injuries suffered by the victim, and the amount of damage to the vehicle and other properties determine the final settlement.
Once the total value of damages has been calculated, our Okatie attorneys will draft a demand letter that provides an accurate if not the exact amount of the payment that needs to be covered by the other party.
Next, we will discuss the different types of car accident compensation.
TYPES OF CAR ACCIDENT COMPENSATION
There are two types of car accident compensation in terms of damages, specific and general damages. Your insurance company will first determine if the accident is your fault, and if it is, even a little, it is more likely that the insurance company will reduce any financial compensation.
You should talk to one of our Okatie car accident lawyers to help you guide on what information you should tell insurance companies and what you should not say because insurance companies might use them against you.
- Specific damages refer to the particular amount of money that was lost due to the accident like medical treatments, earning capacity, wages, and property that has been lost because of the accident.
- General damages, on the other hand, refer to more subjective terms like the physical pain felt because of the injuries, emotional distress, inability to have children, loss of an extremity, and loss of consortium.
If your accident was with a semi-truck, contact our Okatie Truck Accident Attorneys.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST YOU TO HIRE OKATIE CAR ACCIDENT LAWYERS?
The Brown Firm works with our clients on a contingency fee model, which means that your lawyer will only get paid once the compensation has been settled. It means that your lawyer must do everything to get paid. Our lawyers will also get only a small percentage from your settlement.
WHAT ARE THE COMMON REASONS FOR MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS IN OKATIE, SC?
Car accidents are prevalent and sometimes fatal in the state of South Carolina. Accidents can happen anytime, and here are the most common reasons why accidents occur in the country.
- Texting – Texting while driving is against the law. However, many South Carolina residents still have the habit of sending text messages while on the road because pulling over and sending a text might be a hassle for some.
- Alcohol – Alcohol has been the primary reason for car accidents. Consuming alcohol makes you have slower decision making and reactions — the only way of driving home safe after a party is refusing to drive drunk.
- Fatigue – Driving tired at night can be dangerous. Driving tired can lead to misjudgment in traffic regulations and suddenly being asleep while driving. This can also feel irritated while driving tired.
- Weather – Weather conditions are also a significant factor in the number of car accidents. Rain, snow, and fog can make your car slip on the road, causing accidents. These weather conditions also hinder vision.
- Speeding – Most of the time, accidents caused by speeding happen because the driver is either running late of an appointment or trying to beat the traffic. Whatever the reason is, speeding should not be done.
CAN I STILL SUE IF I WAS ONLY A PASSENGER AND NOT A DRIVER?
Yes, even if you are not the driver of the vehicle, you can still file for monetary compensation to cover your lost expenses. There are a few options that you can choose to recover the damage caused by an accident.
You can file a claim against the other driver’s insurance companies depending on the amount of damage that the other party has done. If you are ever involved in an accident and get damaged, our Okatie lawyers will do the same service we do if you are a driver.
SHOULD I TAKE PHOTOS OF THE CAR ACCIDENT FOR MY CASE?
Yes, you can take photos after your car accident as it provides evidence that can be used when claiming your settlement. After a car accident, our attorneys and your insurance company will investigate the details of the accident and gather as much evidence as you can to get a higher chance of ending with a massive chunk of settlement cash.
You want to provide the best photos possible. In doing so, you would want to take pictures of the vehicles, the scene of the accident, the surrounding area, the weather, and your injuries.
Contact the best car accident law firm in Okatie, South Carolina today!
Experiencing an injury can be painful and traumatic. The best way to at least patch the scars caused by the incident is through having monetary compensation of what needs to be paid.
With over 30 years of experience, The Brown Firm will guarantee that you will get the settlement that you deserve. You can call us on (843) 919-7888 or click below to Book a free consultation now!