Tips to Keep Your Children Safe This Summer
Summer is almost here and with it comes to a whole array of new and exciting outdoor activities, but this sunny season also brings an increase in personal injuries and trips to the emergency room in Georgia. Children are most often the victims of these injuries, due to an increase in particular seasonal activities.
Playing outdoors in the summer is always encouraged, but being aware of your children’s whereabouts, the most common injuries, and their causes, can help keep your family safe. Below is a list of the leading causes of summer injuries for children, and how parents can take steps to avoid them.
I met with Harry Brown personally and he sat with me for 20 minutes at our initial consultation to explain everything. He even called after my surgery to see how I was doing. I met with him several more times after that and was kept informed about my case throughout. I highly recommend Harry Brown as an attorney.
Most Common Summer Injuries and How to Prevent Them
- Heatstroke – Heatstroke and dehydration are common among kids in the summer months. Being exposed to extreme heat, even for a short time, can result in heat stroke. Kids often do not drink enough fluids either, and become dehydrated and fatigued more quickly if they are outside playing in the heat. Be sure your children are drinking enough water and encourage breaks throughout the day to cool down.
- Bike Accidents – The most important safety tip regarding bikes is ensuring your child is always wearing their helmet. If they crash their bike, or a negligent driver hits them, a helmet could save them from traumatic brain injury. Try to avoid busy roads at all costs and always have them ride on the sidewalks when possible.
- Drowning – Over 400 children drown each year, and the majority of these take place during the summer months. Always keep an eye on your children if they are in or around water. Never leave them unsupervised, even if they know how to swim, and make sure to have the proper flotation devices for younger children and those that do not know how to swim. Taking an adult CPR class can save a life if the worst does happen.
- Car Accidents – Car accidents can be dangerous for people of any age, but children are more susceptible to acquiring life-threatening injuries. The number of car accidents rises during the summer because of the increase of vehicles on the road. Make sure children always wear their seat belts, sit in the back seat, and double check that their car seats are properly installed and fastened.
- Fireworks Accidents – Summer holidays and festivities often mean fireworks. Over 6,000 kids suffer injuries from firecrackers resulting in emergency room visits each year. Keeping fireworks away from children is the best way to prevent injury, but if they do use them, extreme caution and continuous supervision should be used.
Has Your Child Suffered a Personal Injury?
Kids will be kids, and protecting them from all potential injuries is practically impossible. Unfortunately, some personal injuries occur as a result of someone else’s negligence.
If your child was hurt in a public place, such as a summer camp, a park, a public pool, or even at a daycare center, you might be entitled to compensation for any acquired medical bills and their pain and suffering.
The Brown Firm provides aggressive legal representation to victims of severe personal injury or wrongful death throughout Georgia.
Call today or click on the link below for a Free Consultation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys in Savannah, Atlanta, and Athens.
Ready to Talk to a Lawyer Who Has Your Back?
Our Recent Personal Injury Articles
Jaclyn faced injuries, bills, and more after being hurt in an accident her driver caused. Learn how our persistence helped her win the money she deserved.
While most of a personal injury settlement is tax free, you may owe taxes on certain types of damages or interest. Learn more in this article.
The size of a herniated disc settlement can vary significantly based on several factors. Read to learn more about how damages are calculated.
Our car accident law firm discusses the best way to handle a car accident on private property in Georgia or South Carolina. For legal help call The Brown Firm.
Learn about special damages, punitive damages, and other money you can win in a personal injury trial—and how an attorney can help.
In the article inside, we will explain how to determine your slip and fall case's value.If you were recently injured from a fall due to hazardous conditions on someone else's...
In the article below, we will go over some of the truck accident questions our Truck Accident Lawyers are asked most often. Call for a free consultation. If you've recently...
In the article inside, we will examine what constitutes nursing home neglect and what can be done about it. Failure to meet the needs of a nursing home resident is...
Learn what personal injury is, if you might have a personal injury case, and how to get the compensation you deserve with the help of an experienced attorney.
Inside we will dive deeper into car accident claims for children and some key differences between a personal injury claim for an adult and a child.
Contact The Brown Firm
Get the Answers and Compensation You Deserve
You’ll notice the difference when you contact The Brown Firm! Our local dedicated attorneys want to help you recover and rebuild. We serve all of Georgia and South Carolina from four conveniently located offices in Savannah, Atlanta, Athens, and Okatie.
Schedule your free consultation by calling (912) 324-2498 or completing our simple online form.