Tips to Keep Your Children Safe This Summer
Summer is almost here and with it comes to a whole array of new and exciting outdoor activities, but this sunny season also brings an increase in personal injuries and trips to the emergency room in Georgia. Children are most often the victims of these injuries, due to an increase in particular seasonal activities.
Playing outdoors in the summer is always encouraged, but being aware of your children’s whereabouts, the most common injuries, and their causes, can help keep your family safe. Below is a list of the leading causes of summer injuries for children, and how parents can take steps to avoid them.
I met with Harry Brown personally and he sat with me for 20 minutes at our initial consultation to explain everything. He even called after my surgery to see how I was doing. I met with him several more times after that and was kept informed about my case throughout. I highly recommend Harry Brown as an attorney.
Most Common Summer Injuries and How to Prevent Them
- Heatstroke – Heatstroke and dehydration are common among kids in the summer months. Being exposed to extreme heat, even for a short time, can result in heat stroke. Kids often do not drink enough fluids either, and become dehydrated and fatigued more quickly if they are outside playing in the heat. Be sure your children are drinking enough water and encourage breaks throughout the day to cool down.
- Bike Accidents – The most important safety tip regarding bikes is ensuring your child is always wearing their helmet. If they crash their bike, or a negligent driver hits them, a helmet could save them from traumatic brain injury. Try to avoid busy roads at all costs and always have them ride on the sidewalks when possible.
- Drowning – Over 400 children drown each year, and the majority of these take place during the summer months. Always keep an eye on your children if they are in or around water. Never leave them unsupervised, even if they know how to swim, and make sure to have the proper flotation devices for younger children and those that do not know how to swim. Taking an adult CPR class can save a life if the worst does happen.
- Car Accidents – Car accidents can be dangerous for people of any age, but children are more susceptible to acquiring life-threatening injuries. The number of car accidents rises during the summer because of the increase of vehicles on the road. Make sure children always wear their seat belts, sit in the back seat, and double check that their car seats are properly installed and fastened.
- Fireworks Accidents – Summer holidays and festivities often mean fireworks. Over 6,000 kids suffer injuries from firecrackers resulting in emergency room visits each year. Keeping fireworks away from children is the best way to prevent injury, but if they do use them, extreme caution and continuous supervision should be used.
Has Your Child Suffered a Personal Injury?
Kids will be kids, and protecting them from all potential injuries is practically impossible. Unfortunately, some personal injuries occur as a result of someone else’s negligence.
If your child was hurt in a public place, such as a summer camp, a park, a public pool, or even at a daycare center, you might be entitled to compensation for any acquired medical bills and their pain and suffering.
The Brown Firm provides aggressive legal representation to victims of severe personal injury or wrongful death throughout Georgia.
Call today or click on the link below for a Free Consultation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys in Savannah, Atlanta, and Athens.
Ready to Talk to a Lawyer Who Has Your Back?
Our Recent Personal Injury Articles
Macon, GA – 57-Year-Old Man Killed in Motorcycle Crash
According to the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office, a 57-year-old man was killed in a single-vehicle motorcycle accident on I-16.
Columbus, GA – Two Dead From Fiery Single Vehicle Accident
Two Columbus residents are dead after a single-vehicle crash that occurred around Hancock Road late Sunday night.
Stonecrest, GA – Man Hit by Car in Critical Condition
DeKalb County police were investigating in Stonecrest after a man walking alongside a roadway was hit by a car and critically injured.
Lithonia, GA – Medical Emergency Triggers Multi-Car Accident
At least three people were sent to the hospital after a major crash involving five vehicles in Lithonia, Georgia.
Atlanta, GA – 2 Killed Others Injured in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Two people died and several others were hurt in a multiple-vehicle accident that happened in Atlanta on Saturday afternoon.
Macon, GA – Moped Driver Struck and Killed in Hit-and-Run Accident
A 48-year-old woman driving a moped was struck and killed in a hit-and-run accident that occurred on Tuesday night.
Macon, GA – Motorcyclist in Critical Condition After Being Hit by a Car
A 63-year-old man is in critical condition after the motorcycle he was riding was struck by a vehicle Monday night.
Evans, GA- Three-Year-Old Killed in Car Accident
A 3-year-old girl was killed in a motor vehicle accident Friday afternoon near Columbia Road and Stowe Drive.
Atlanta, GA- Fatal Motorcycle Crash on I-75
A fatal crash occurred on I-75 southbound when a motorcycle hit the back of a Highway Emergency Response Operators truck.
Warner Robins, GA – 1 Person Dead in a Two Vehicle Rear-End Collision
A rear-end car accident at North Houston Road and Greenbriar Road left a 40-year-old man dead Thursday night.
Contact The Brown Firm
Get the Answers and Compensation You Deserve
You’ll notice the difference when you contact The Brown Firm! Our local dedicated attorneys want to help you recover and rebuild.
Schedule your free consultation by calling (800) 529-1441 or completing our simple online form.