Deer Season Driving Tips
It’s officially deer season! From October to January, deer are in their breeding period, which means there will be more of them to look out for when driving. October to December is when nearly half of all accidents involving white-tail deer happen1. For this reason, it is important to be prepared in the case of a deer-related accident.
I met with Harry Brown personally and he sat with me for 20 minutes at our initial consultation to explain everything. He even called after my surgery to see how I was doing. I met with him several more times after that and was kept informed about my case throughout. I highly recommend Harry Brown as an attorney.
HOW DO I PREVENT A DEER-RELATED ACCIDENT?
If you are aware, alert and prepared, you have a better chance of avoiding greater damage when experiencing a deer encounter. Here are tips that can help you be better prepared:
- Play the “what if” game: As a driver, prepare yourself in the event a collision happens. “What if a deer crosses in front of my car?” “What will I do?”
- Be more alert during sunset and sunrise: Between 5:00 am and 8:00 am and 5:00 pm to midnight are when deer are most active. It is important to keep your headlights on and stay alert during these times.
- Wear your seatbelt: According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 60 percent of those involved in animal-related crashes died because they were not wearing seatbelts1.
- Look for more than one: Deer don’t usually travel alone, so make sure to scan for others that may be nearby.
- Know where they will be: Look for Deer Crossing Signs and be more alert on rural roads and in wooded areas. If you use your high beams, you will be able to better see approaching deer.
- Don’t approach the deer: If you happen to hit a deer or find one that is injured, don’t move towards it. A frightened deer may flail or injure you or itself further.
- Use your brakes: Slow down or stop, but don’t swerve into another lane. It is more dangerous to avoid the deer and hit another car.
Contact The Brown Firm Today for Assistance with Deer-related Accidents
We understand how frightening it can be to have a deer-related accident and we would like to help you navigate the post-accident process. The personal injury attorneys at The Brown Firm understand the importance of first-rate customer service, so you’ll work directly with a lawyer and team who will help you understand your legal options.
With three offices located in Georgia including Savannah, Atlanta and Athens, rest assured that our Car Accident Lawyers in Georgia will go the distance to help you. To schedule a free consultation, call us at (888) 391-9112 or click here to complete our contact form.
Ready to Talk to a Lawyer Who Has Your Back?
Our Recent Personal Injury Articles
Jaclyn faced injuries, bills, and more after being hurt in an accident her driver caused. Learn how our persistence helped her win the money she deserved.
While most of a personal injury settlement is tax free, you may owe taxes on certain types of damages or interest. Learn more in this article.
The size of a herniated disc settlement can vary significantly based on several factors. Read to learn more about how damages are calculated.
Our car accident law firm discusses the best way to handle a car accident on private property in Georgia or South Carolina. For legal help call The Brown Firm.
Learn about special damages, punitive damages, and other money you can win in a personal injury trial—and how an attorney can help.
In the article inside, we will explain how to determine your slip and fall case's value.If you were recently injured from a fall due to hazardous conditions on someone else's...
In the article below, we will go over some of the truck accident questions our Truck Accident Lawyers are asked most often. Call for a free consultation. If you've recently...
In the article inside, we will examine what constitutes nursing home neglect and what can be done about it. Failure to meet the needs of a nursing home resident is...
Learn what personal injury is, if you might have a personal injury case, and how to get the compensation you deserve with the help of an experienced attorney.
Inside we will dive deeper into car accident claims for children and some key differences between a personal injury claim for an adult and a child.
Contact The Brown Firm
Get the Answers and Compensation You Deserve
You’ll notice the difference when you contact The Brown Firm! Our local dedicated attorneys want to help you recover and rebuild. We serve all of Georgia and South Carolina from four conveniently located offices in Savannah, Atlanta, Athens, and Okatie.
Schedule your free consultation by calling (912) 324-2498 or completing our simple online form.