Common Slip and Fall Accidents and Injuries
Millions of people of all ages are victims of slip and fall injuries in the United States each year. Slip and fall injuries are the leading cause of unintentional injuries that result in emergency room visits.
Many factors play a part in slip and fall injury cases. Property owners may be held responsible when someone slips and falls on a damp floor, defective stairs, or rocky patch or path. Slip and fall cases are categorized under premise liability and based on the ideology of negligence.
Examples of negligence can include:
- Whether or not the property owner acted carefully in preventing a slip and fall on their grounds.
- Whether the victim acted recklessly in not avoiding what they slipped on.
Personal injury attorneys understand the complex law behind these types of cases and can help if you find yourself in this situation.
This article will discuss some common causes and injuries resulting from a slip and fall and what to do if you are injured in this way.
I met with Harry Brown personally and he sat with me for 20 minutes at our initial consultation to explain everything. He even called after my surgery to see how I was doing. I met with him several more times after that and was kept informed about my case throughout. I highly recommend Harry Brown as an attorney.
What Are Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents?
The most common cause of slip and fall injury is due to wet and uneven walking surfaces. You can find this anywhere; in stores, nursing homes, hospitals, supermarkets, parking lots, or other walking surfaces.
- Slippery, icy, or wet surfaces
- Sidewalks that have not been salted or shoveled
- Not using non-slip mats inside entryways during dangerous weather conditions
- Uneven sidewalks or pavement
- Poorly lit areas
- Blocked aisles and hallways
- Cluttered surfaces
- Insufficient workplace training
- Dangerous jobs, like construction, often require extensive training. Without safety training, there is a higher probability of workplace injury.
- Nursing home neglect
- The elderly often suffer slip and fall accidents when not properly assisted. The elderly suffer more falls because a person’s balance deteriorates with age.
Half of all slip and fall cases are a direct result of hazardous surfaces. These types of conditions make something as simple as walking a dangerous task. It is easy to see why so many slip and fall accidents occur each year.
What Are the Most Common Types of Slip and Fall Accident Injuries?
Slip and fall incidents can cause many types of injuries. The most common are:
- Broken bones
- Knee, ankle, or wrist sprains and fractures
- Shoulder dislocation
- Soft tissue injuries
- Hip fractures
- Back injuries
- Pulled muscles
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Slip and fall accidents are the greatest cause of head injuries. Hitting your head off an object or the ground can result in a concussion, contusions, or even traumatic brain injury.
Hip fractures from slip and falls are more common among the elderly. Bones begin to weaken with age, and even a minor fall can easily crack the hip bone. This type of fracture can sometimes require hip replacement surgery, which can be fatal to an elderly person.
What Should You Do After a Slip and Fall?
- Report the Accident: Report your accident to the property owner or a manager immediately. Many establishments provide paperwork in the instance an accident occurs. It’s okay to use the supplies they give you. Be sure to obtain a copy of the paperwork before you leave.
- Seek Medical Care: Even if you feel you haven’t experienced significant injuries, please get proper medical care immediately following the accident. You will need accurate documentation of your medical treatment from your doctor if you wish to explore damages for your injuries.
- Take Pictures: It is essential to take photographs of the area surrounding the accident and the scene itself. Remember, conditions change quickly, so it is advised to take pictures as soon as possible.
- Witnesses Information: If anyone witnessed the slip and fall accident, try to obtain their name, number, and address. They may be a critical component of your case that can contribute to your settlement amount.
- Hire Legal Help: Premise liability claims can be very complex, and navigating these complexities alone can be risky. Our experienced slip and fall attorneys have the resources and necessary knowledge to help you gain a fair settlement.
Slip and fall cases vary in scenarios and injuries. No two cases are the same. If you are suffering from an injury, we are here to help you. Whether you have back pain, broken bones, a soft tissue injury, a spinal cord injury, a traumatic brain injury, or any other type of injury, we want to get you the compensation you deserve!
Sadly, slip and fall cases are difficult to win, and most unrepresented people lose their cases. Seeking legal help for a slip and fall accident injury will increase your chances of recovering compensation for medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering.
Related Blog: How to collect the biggest slip and fall settlement
Contact The Brown Firm
If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident due to someone else’s negligent actions, call The Brown Firm for a free consultation today. We are the top slip and fall law firm in Georgia and South Carolina. We have the best slip and fall lawyers to help you win your case and obtain the compensation you deserve!
Ready to Talk to a Lawyer Who Has Your Back?
Our Recent Personal Injury Articles
Marietta, GA – Driver Gets in Two Car Accidents in Less Than an Hour
According to police, a Marietta driver was given two tickets for two different accidents within less than 40 minutes of each other.
Atlanta, GA – 1-Year-Old Run Over and Killed In Driveway of Family Home
A 1-year-old was accidentally run over and killed in the driveway of an Atlanta-area home, Georgia authorities say.
Lake City, GA – Woman Killed by Forklift
A woman is dead after what appears to be a freak accident at a business that stores vehicles that have been involved in crashes.
Paulding County, GA – APD Lieutenant Crashes SUV
A lieutenant with the Atlanta Police Department was arrested over the weekend for driving under the influence after a single-vehicle crash.
Atlanta, GA – Driver Dies After Car Hits Highway Bridge Wall And Falls Onto Oncoming Traffic
A driver struck a wall on Buford Highway, rolled over and fell onto oncoming traffic below where they were killed.
Cowetta County, GA – Tow Truck Driver Killed in Multiple Vehilce Accident
Authorities say a tow truck driver lost his life on the job on the northbound side of Interstate 85 at mile marker 40.
Gainesville, GA – Driver Reaches for Dropped Cigarette, Hits Guardrail and Overturns Truck
A truck driver dropped his cigarette, hit a guardrail and overturned his tractor trailer on Tuesday, March 14.
DeKalb County, GA – Three Killed, Two Injured in Fiery Collision
Three people are dead and two others injured after a fiery crash shut down all lanes at the intersection of Wesley Chapel Road.
Stone Mountain, GA – One Person Dead after Two-Car Crash
One person is dead after being involved in a two-vehicle accident that occurred on Tuesday night in Stone Mountain, Georgia.
Macon, GA – Man Killed in Motorcycle Crash on Mercer University Drive
A man died in a motorcycle crash Monday morning when he collided with a car on Mercer University Drive in Macon, Georgia.
Contact The Brown Firm
Get the Answers and Compensation You Deserve
You’ll notice the difference when you contact The Brown Firm! Our local dedicated attorneys want to help you recover and rebuild.
Schedule your free consultation by calling (800) 529-1441 or completing our simple online form.