Have you or someone you know recently been involved in a car accident in Atlanta? Don't stress out when it comes to finding the best car accident lawyer in Atlanta, as The Brown Firm is ready to help. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed or confused with the legal jargon; the team at The Brown Firm can help ensure you are adequately represented and compensated.
In Atlanta, there are over a thousand traffic accidents that happen each year. Many of these car accidents are senseless and preventable, which is why Personal Injury Law Firms are there to represent those who have been injured by careless drivers. When you get in a car accident, you might have to deal with medical professionals and insurance claims. Depending on the gravity of the injuries and damages, you may find yourself needing to find legal representation.
Table of Contents
- Injury Law
- What to Look for in a Car Accident Lawyer
- Understanding Car Accidents
After a car accident, the type of lawyer that you need is one that specializes in injury law. This type of lawyer is called a Personal Injury Lawyer. Personal Injury Lawyers focus on helping victims of personal injury accidents get the compensation they deserve. Other than Car Accidents, Personal Injury Lawyers also take on truck accidents, work accidents, slip and fall cases, medical malpractice, wrongful death, and more.
What to Look for in a Car Accident Lawyer
You have determined that you need to find a car accident lawyer, but you aren't sure what to look for? A few things to consider when looking for the best car accident lawyer in Atlanta.
- Referrals – Friends, family, or colleagues can make recommendations of potential lawyers. Referrals can be based on their own personal experience or a result of knowing someone who has gone through a similar experience.
- Experience – When it comes to car accidents, you want to make sure you have someone who has dealt with similar cases. Visit their website, speak with a lawyer or representative to see what their record is when it comes to handling car accident claims.
- Reputation – Finding a reputable firm to handle your case can be hard. However, when you find a firm in Atlanta that has a positive reputation, then you know you can trust them.
Understanding Car Accidents
Every car accident is different, and you want to make sure that you have the right lawyer on the job for you. Knowing a little more about car accidents and Injury Law may help you understand what questions to ask your lawyer during a free consultation. Your attorney will welcome questions and can share the types of cases they have handled in the past.
What Are Common Causes of Car Accidents
Our lawyers at The Brown Firm can represent you regardless of how big or small the claim. Some of the cases our lawyers have experience representing include some of these common causes of car accidents in Atlanta.
- Distracted Driving – From texting to talking on the phone or talking to a passenger, distracted driving can have deadly results. In a recent Distraction.gov report, 47% of Atlanta's drivers admitted to texting and driving.
- Impaired Driving – Driving intoxicated is one of the most common causes of car accidents in Atlanta. Impaired driving includes either drinking excessive alcohol or using recreational drugs such as cannabis, which have been shown to slow down response and reaction times.
- Bad Weather – Mother Nature is unpredictable. From rain, snow, ice, and wind – unskilled drivers can find themselves in a world of trouble if they are unable to control their vehicle.
- Speeding – There is a reason they say that speed kills as drivers are going at excessive speeds. On average, Atlanta state patrols issue 140 tickets a day.
- Exhaustion – The least common cause of the group's car accidents, driving exhausted, is still a relatively common cause of road accidents. Many accidents that are a result of exhaustion take place on highways or long stretches of roads.
What Is Meant by Fault and No-Fault?
In Atlanta, Georgia, the state is an "at fault" state, which means the driver who caused the car accident is responsible for paying for the damages of their car and the victims. The payment may come from their insurance or out of pocket. No-fault means that the auto-insurance of the driver pays for the damages.
Our experienced car accident attorneys have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions.
What Should I Do If I'm in a Car Accident?
If you are in a car accident, the best steps to take are the following:
- Assess Injuries and Safety: First thing to do is make sure everyone is alright. If medical help is needed, call 911 immediately. Check your passengers and the other vehicle. Getting medical attention, if required, is always the most critical factor.
- Call the police: You will need to talk with the police and give a statement about the accident. The police officer will assess the car accident and make an official report that will be used in determining fault in the case.
- Take photos or footage of the accident (your car and theirs): Pictures are essential, take pictures of the vehicles, visible injuries, car tracks or skid marks, and anything that may help later in the case.
- Find a witness at the scene: If you can find a witness and get a statement and information, this can help your case.
- Get medical attention: If your injuries were not life-threatening, and you did not need to be taken by ambulance, you should still seek medical attention. Having a car accident doctor assess your injures will help you ensure that all your medical bills will be covered. Some injuries, such as whiplash, may not show up immediately.
- Contact a Personal Injury Law Firm: Before you start talking to an insurance company, call a car accident attorney. This is because often, the insurance company will try to get you to take a smaller settlement than you deserve. If an insurance company calls you before you speak with an attorney, give as little information as possible, as anything you say may be used against you when seeking compensation.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
There are no upfront fees to hire a car accident attorney. Most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means we don't take a fee unless you get a settlement. Once you get a settlement, the attorney will take out a small percentage for their legal fees. This works in the car accident victims benefit as if they do not win a settlement they do not pay, and also because it is a percentage, you know that your attorney will be fighting for the maximum compensation for you. We strive to ensure our clients receive the best legal representation, more than fair compensation, and promptly. You can also get a free consultation, so there is no risk for you to call!
How Much is My Car Accident Case Worth?
The value of every Car Accident Lawsuit varies and depends on several different factors, including:
- Amount of Fault
- Amount of Damage
- Extent of Injuries
- Amount of Insurance Coverage Available
Depending on the details of your car accident, your attorney will be able to draft a demand letter with you that will give an accurate estimate of the total amount of what your case is worth.
What Can I be Compensated for After a Car Accident?
The types of things that you can seek compensation for after a car accident are:
- medical expenses
- property damage
- pain and suffering
- lost wages
Talk to an experienced motor vehicle accident attorney to learn what your specific settlement will include. Personal Injury Cases differ from one case to another, so the only way to understand what you're entitled to is to speak with a car accident lawyer.
Don't let medical bills and other expenses pile up from an accident that was due to someone else's negligence. Thanks to the Brown Firm, if you call today, you can receive a free consultation from our legal team on how to proceed with your case. Don't let another minute pass by without reaching out to the team of car accident lawyers at Brown Firm – representing you and your interests.
Call us today at (404) 522-8480 or click the link below to schedule your free consultation!